Advisory: 10/11/2021: Latest press release from Foothills Health District
October 11, 2021
The McDowell County Health Department has been notified that 56 additional McDowell County residents have tested positive for novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are saddened to report 2 additional deaths. This brings the total number of positives to 8,503 in McDowell County. There have been 61,293 tests conducted, 52,631 negative results and 159 tests are pending results. Presently, there are 236 individuals in quarantine, 8,144 out of quarantine and 123 deaths. McDowell County’s 14-day positivity rate is 19.3%. McDowell County’s COVID-19 data dashboard is updated daily (Monday-Friday) and can be found by visiting www.mcdowellem.com or by clicking the following link: http://www.mcdowellem.com/covid-19-information.html.
COVID-19 Testing Information:
- Andor Labs has expanded hours and has moved to the Lady Marian Plaza: Andor Labs is offering free, drive-thru, COVID-19 testing Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Lady Marian Plaza at 1155 North Main St in Marion.
- Cultures United for Health will host a free COVID-19 testing site on Thursday, October 14th from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 79 Academy St in Marion.
- Other COVID-19 testing locations include: primary care physician offices, local urgent care clinics, The Prescription Pad of Marion, and CVS pharmacy. If you cannot afford a COVID-19 test, you can call the McDowell County Health Department at 828-652-6811.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
The COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) is staffed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, 7 days a week. Please call the hotline if you have questions or would like to set up an appointment to get your vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine is free and there are multiple vaccine locations around our county to choose from including: McDowell County Health Department, Ingles, Wal-Mart, CVS, Atrium Health Physician Practices, The Prescription Pad of Marion and McDowell Family Pharmacy in Old Fort. First dose vaccine appointments can also be booked online by visiting https://takemyshot.nc.gov/. Homebound citizens who want the vaccine but are unable to reach a vaccination site are encouraged to contact the Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) to have the vaccine delivered and administered at their home.
Upcoming Public Health COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
- Wednesday, October 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. at the McDowell County Health Department
- Cultures United for Health will host a Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination clinic on Thursday, October 14th from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 79 Academy St. in Marion.
- Friday, October 15th from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the McDowell County Health Department
- 3rd Dose Clinic for Immunocompromised Individuals: call 828-803-4552 to make an appointment
- Pfizer Booster Vaccine: Call 828-803-4552 to make an appointment or visit https://takemyshot.nc.gov/.
McDowell County Vaccine Doses Administered
- First Doses: 23,278 (58% of eligible residents)
- Second Doses: 21,315 (53% of eligible residents)
COVID-19 Outbreak Information:
Emergency Services and Public Health staff continue to offer assistance and logistical support to facilities that are experiencing current outbreaks of COVID-19. Outbreaks are defined by DHHS as: two or more cases of COVID-19 in a congregate living facility within 28 days. The current outbreaks in McDowell County are:
- Autumn Care of Marion: a total of 7 staff members and 10 residents have tested positive.
- Deer Park Health & Rehabilitation: a total of 15 staff members and 4 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell Assisted Living: a total of 5 staff members and 21 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell County Detention Center: a total of 3 staff members and 20 inmates have tested positive. 3 staff members and 19 inmates have recovered from COVID-19.
- Cedarbrook Residential Center: a total of 7 staff members have tested positive.
- Lake James Lodge: a total of 3 staff members and 9 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell House: a total of 2 staff members and 15 residents have tested positive.