Advisory: 10/5/2021: Latest press release from Foothills Health District,
October 5, 2021
The McDowell County Health Department has been notified that 30 additional McDowell County residents have tested positive for novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). This brings the total number of positives to 8,372 in McDowell County. There have been 60,517 tests conducted, 51,982 negative results and 163 tests are pending results. Presently, there are 373 individuals in quarantine, 7,878 out of quarantine and 121 deaths. McDowell County’s 14-day positivity rate is 24.2%. McDowell County’s COVID-19 data dashboard is updated daily (Monday-Friday) and can be found by visiting www.mcdowellem.com or by clicking the following link: http://www.mcdowellem.com/covid-19-information.html.
COVID-19 Testing Information:
- Andor Labs is offering free COVID-19 testing today from 3pm-6pm, Wednesday from 10am to 1pm, Thursday from 3pm to 6pm and Friday from 3pm to 5pm in the old Bank of America parking lot at 120 N. Main St in Marion.
- Other COVID-19 testing locations include: primary care physician offices, local urgent care clinics, The Prescription Pad of Marion, and CVS pharmacy. If you cannot afford a COVID-19 test, you can call the McDowell County Health Department at 828-652-6811.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
The COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) is staffed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, 7 days a week. Please call the hotline if you have questions or would like to set up an appointment to get your vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine is free and there are multiple vaccine locations around our county to choose from including: McDowell County Health Department, Ingles, Wal-Mart, CVS, Atrium Health Physician Practices, The Prescription Pad of Marion and McDowell Family Pharmacy in Old Fort. First dose vaccine appointments can also be booked online by visiting https://takemyshot.nc.gov/. Homebound citizens who want the vaccine but are unable to reach a vaccination site are encouraged to contact the Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) to have the vaccine delivered and administered at their home.
Upcoming Public Health COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
McDowell County Vaccine Doses Administered
- First Doses: 23,166 (58% of eligible residents)
- Second Doses: 21,077 (53% of eligible residents)
COVID-19 Outbreak and Cluster Information:
Emergency Services and Public Health staff continue to offer assistance and logistical support to facilities that are experiencing current outbreaks of COVID-19. Outbreaks are defined by DHHS as: two or more cases of COVID-19 in a congregate living facility within 28 days. Clusters are defined by DHHS as: a minimum of five confirmed diagnostic cases with illness onsets or initial positive results within a 14-day period and plausible epidemiologic linkage between cases. The current outbreaks and clusters in McDowell County are:
- Autumn Care of Marion: a total of 7 staff members and 10 residents have tested positive.
- Deer Park Health & Rehabilitation: a total of 15 staff members and 4 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell Assisted Living: a total of 5 staff members and 21 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell County Detention Center: a total of 3 staff members and 20 inmates have tested positive. 3 staff members and 16 inmates have recovered from COVID-19.
- Cedarbrook Residential Center: a total of 7 staff members have tested positive.
- Lake James Lodge: a total of 3 staff members and 8 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell House: a total of 2 staff members and 11 residents have tested positive.
- Old Fort Elementary School: a total of 9 students and 2 staff
- West Marion Elementary School: a total of 5 students