Advisory: 9/2/2021: Latest press release from Foothills Health District.
September 2, 2021
The McDowell County Health Department has been notified that 67 additional McDowell County residents have tested positive for novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). This brings the total number of positives to 6,834 in McDowell County. There have been 53,738 tests conducted, 46,610 negative results and 294 tests are pending results. Presently, there are 781 individuals in quarantine, 5,963 out of quarantine and 90 deaths. McDowell County’s 14-day positivity rate is 30.8%. McDowell County’s COVID-19 data dashboard is updated daily (Monday-Friday) and can be found by visiting www.mcdowellem.com or by clicking the following link: http://www.mcdowellem.com/covid-19-information.html.
COVID-19 Outbreaks Information:
Emergency Services and Public Health staff continue to offer assistance and logistical support to facilities that are experiencing current outbreaks of COVID-19. Outbreaks are defined by DHHS as: two or more cases of COVID-19 in a congregate living facility within 28 days. The current outbreaks in McDowell County are:
- Autumn Care of Marion: a total of 6 staff members and 10 residents have tested positive.
- Deer Park Health & Rehabilitation: a total of 5 staff members and 3 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell Assisted Living: a total of 4 staff members and 17 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell County Detention Center: a total of 3 staff members and 16 inmates have tested positive.
COVID-19 Testing Information:
Opening today: Andor Laboratories is offering FREE COVID-19 testing from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the Roses Parking Lot at 600 N. Main St. This testing will be offered each weekday, Monday-Friday, from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at this location.
Citizens in need of a COVID-19 test are encouraged to call their primary care physician, local urgent care clinics, The Prescription Pad of Marion, or CVS pharmacy for testing. If you are uninsured or cannot afford a COVID-19 test, you can call the McDowell County Health Department at 828-652- 6811 to schedule a test. The next drive-thru testing clinic will be held Tuesday, September 7th at the McDowell County Health Department from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
The COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) is staffed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, 7 days a week. Please call the hotline if you have questions or would like to set up an appointment to get your vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine is free and there are multiple vaccine locations around our county to choose from including: McDowell County Health Department, Ingles, Wal-Mart, CVS, Atrium Health Physician Practices, The Prescription Pad of Marion and McDowell Family Pharmacy in Old Fort. First dose vaccine appointments can also be booked online by visiting http://www.myspot.nc.gov. Homebound citizens who want the vaccine but are unable to reach a vaccination site are encouraged to contact the Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) to have the vaccine delivered and administered at their home.
Upcoming Public Health COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
- Friday, September 3rd from 12:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the McDowell County Health Department.
- Wednesday, September 8th from 9:00 am to 11:30 a.m. at the McDowell County Health Department.
- 3rd Dose Clinic for Immunocompromised Individuals: call 828-803-4552 to make an appointment
McDowell County Vaccine Doses Administered
- First Doses: 20,967 (46%)
- Second Doses: 18,772 (41%)