Advisory: 9/29/2021: Latest press release from Foothills Health District
September 29, 2021
The McDowell County Health Department has been notified that 43 additional McDowell County residents have tested positive for novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). This brings the total number of positives to 8,201 in McDowell County. There have been 59,670 tests conducted, 51,122 negative results and 347 tests are pending results. Presently, there are 518 individuals in quarantine, 7,565 out of quarantine and 118 deaths. McDowell County’s 14-day positivity rate is 26.4%. McDowell County’s COVID-19 data dashboard is updated daily (Monday-Friday) and can be found by visiting www.mcdowellem.com or by clicking the following link: http://www.mcdowellem.com/covid-19-information.html.
COVID-19 Testing Information:
- Andor Labs is offering free COVID-19 testing today from 10am to 1pm, Thursday from 3pm to 6pm and Friday from 3pm to 5pm in the old Bank of America parking lot at 120 N. Main St in Marion.
- McDowell County Health Department will be offering free, drive-thru COVID-19 testing on Monday, October 4th from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Other COVID-19 testing locations include: primary care physician offices, local urgent care clinics, The Prescription Pad of Marion, and CVS pharmacy. If you cannot afford a COVID-19 test, you can call the McDowell County Health Department at 828-652-6811.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
The COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) is staffed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, 7 days a week. Please call the hotline if you have questions or would like to set up an appointment to get your vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine is free and there are multiple vaccine locations around our county to choose from including: McDowell County Health Department, Ingles, Wal-Mart, CVS, Atrium Health Physician Practices, The Prescription Pad of Marion and McDowell Family Pharmacy in Old Fort. First dose vaccine appointments can also be booked online by visiting https://takemyshot.nc.gov/. Homebound citizens who want the vaccine but are unable to reach a vaccination site are encouraged to contact the Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) to have the vaccine delivered and administered at their home.
Upcoming Public Health COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
McDowell County Vaccine Doses Administered
- First Doses: 22,518 (56% of eligible residents)
- Second Doses: 20,283 (51% of eligible residents)
COVID-19 Outbreak and Cluster Information:
Emergency Services and Public Health staff continue to offer assistance and logistical support to facilities that are experiencing current outbreaks of COVID-19. Outbreaks are defined by DHHS as: two or more cases of COVID-19 in a congregate living facility within 28 days. Clusters are defined by DHHS as: a minimum of five confirmed diagnostic cases with illness onsets or initial positive results within a 14-day period and plausible epidemiologic linkage between cases. The current outbreaks and clusters in McDowell County are:
- Autumn Care of Marion: a total of 7 staff members and 10 residents have tested positive.
- Deer Park Health & Rehabilitation: a total of 15 staff members and 4 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell Assisted Living: a total of 5 staff members and 21 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell County Detention Center: a total of 3 staff members and 19 inmates have tested positive. 3 staff members and 16 inmates have recovered from COVID-19.
- Cedarbrook Residential Center: a total of 7 staff members have tested positive.
- Lake James Lodge: a total of 1 staff member and 5 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell House: a total of 1 staff member and 3 residents have tested positive.
- Old Fort Elementary School: a total of 9 students and 2 staff
- McDowell High School Cluster 1: a total of 11 students
- McDowell High School Cluster 2: a total of 6 students
- West McDowell Middle School: a total of 5 students
- West Marion Elementary School: a total of 5 students