Advisory: 9/9/2021: Latest press release from Foothills Health District.
September 9, 2021
The McDowell County Health Department has been notified that 32 additional McDowell County residents have tested positive for novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are saddened to report 2 additional deaths. This brings the total number of positives to 7,215 in McDowell County. There have been 55,445 tests conducted, 47,832 negative results and 398 tests are pending results. Presently, there are 746 individuals in quarantine, 6,376 out of quarantine and 93 deaths. McDowell County’s 14-day positivity rate is 29%. McDowell County’s COVID-19 data dashboard is updated daily (Monday-Friday) and can be found by visiting www.mcdowellem.com or by clicking the following link: http://www.mcdowellem.com/covid-19-information.html.
COVID-19 Outbreak and Cluster Information:
Emergency Services and Public Health staff continue to offer assistance and logistical support to facilities that are experiencing current outbreaks of COVID-19. Outbreaks are defined by DHHS as: two or more cases of COVID-19 in a congregate living facility within 28 days. Clusters are defined by DHHS as: a minimum of five confirmed diagnostic cases with illness onsets or initial positive results within a 14-day period and plausible epidemiologic linkage between cases. The current outbreaks and clusters in McDowell County are:
- Autumn Care of Marion: a total of 6 staff members and 10 residents have tested positive.
- Deer Park Health & Rehabilitation: a total of 8 staff members and 3 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell Assisted Living: a total of 4 staff members and 19 residents have tested positive.
- McDowell County Detention Center: a total of 3 staff members and 16 inmates have tested positive. 2 staff members and 10 inmates have recovered from COVID-19.
- Old Fort Elementary School: a total of 8 students and 2 staff
- McDowell High School Cluster 1: a total of 7 students
- McDowell High School Cluster 2: a total of 5 students
COVID-19 Testing Information:
- Andor Laboratories is offering FREE COVID-19 testing each weekday, Monday-Friday, from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the Roses Parking Lot at 600 N. Main St.
- Free COVID-19 testing Monday, September 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the McDowell County Health Department.
- Other COVID-19 testing locations include: primary care physician offices, local urgent care clinics, The Prescription Pad of Marion, and CVS pharmacy.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
The COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) is staffed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, 7 days a week. Please call the hotline if you have questions or would like to set up an appointment to get your vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine is free and there are multiple vaccine locations around our county to choose from including: McDowell County Health Department, Ingles, Wal-Mart, CVS, Atrium Health Physician Practices, The Prescription Pad of Marion and McDowell Family Pharmacy in Old Fort. First dose vaccine appointments can also be booked online by visiting http://www.myspot.nc.gov. Homebound citizens who want the vaccine but are unable to reach a vaccination site are encouraged to contact the Vaccine Call Center (828-803-4552) to have the vaccine delivered and administered at their home.
Upcoming Public Health COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
- Friday, September 10th from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the McDowell County Health Department.
- Wednesday, September 15th from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the McDowell County Health Department.
- 3rd Dose Clinic for Immunocompromised Individuals: call 828-803-4552 to make an appointment
McDowell County Vaccine Doses Administered
First Doses: 21,523 (47%)
Second Doses: 19,052 (42%)